Education and Research Centre, Our Lady’s Hospice, Harold’s Cross, Dublin 6w

Area : 1657 sqm
Status : Completed in 2007
Value : € 6,000,000.00

We have been responsible for many phases of development at Harold’s Cross, however, this building is in marked contrast to the existing buildings on the campus.

Located at the rear of the campus this is a contemporary building which is reflected through the use of innovative materials such as rain screen cladding systems, curtain walling and brise soleil.

Accommodation is organised over three floors. A central block box containing the lecture theatre with a top-lit library above anchors the building with an L-shaped block of classrooms and offices with recessed balconies around the perimeter as a secondary fabric. A glazed roof / atrium sits in between the blocks maximising natural light in the heart of the building and entrance foyer. The building is designed to create an open an inclusive atmosphere within the centre. This is achieved with circulation space by the use of open galleries, a glazed bridge and staircase crossing the atrium designed to stimulate interaction by opening-up surprising views through the building.

The department specialises in Palliative Care Rheumatology and Older Person Care and Reablement. It participates in medical, nursing and allied healthcare undergraduate education and provides post-graduate education and clinical placement in these areas. It also hosts courses and workshops to external practitioners.