St. Ann’s Church, Dawson Street, Dublin 2

Conservation Works – John L Griffith & Partners Architects

The Church was designed by Isaac Wills and built in 1719.The façade designed by Thomas Newenham Deane was added in 1868. The Church is a restrained early Georgian galleried hall, remarkable in being axially aligned with South Anne Street. The façade is polychrome Lombardo – Romanesque with a miniature arcade and a wheel window. The masonry is of Wicklow granite with dressings of grey limestone, Portland stone and red sandstone. The interior has an apse with a shallow recess added in 1867 by Deane with long gilded-plaster pendants of fruit and flowers flanking the windows in the apse. The stained glass windows are an interesting array of 19th and early 20th century.

Conservation works in recent years have included re-roofing the north belfry, cleaning of the monuments, redecoration of the Church and re-roofing of the hipped dormer roof with ridge cresting to the former vicarage which abuts the south tower.